Disclosure: Please be aware that this is an affiliate website and we receive commission for purchases made through links and banners in this website at no additional cost to you.
Have you ever felt the need to just get in your car and drive the wide open road for hours without any particular destination in mind? Sometimes life gets in the way and before you know it a whole year has passed and you haven’t been anywhere at all.
Everyone deserves a break from reality. Perhaps, a road trip is exactly what you need.
Let me help you with a list of road trip essentials that would make your adventure run as smoothly as possible.
First things first:
- If you’re driving your own car. Make sure to have it thoroughly checked by your dealer or local mechanic. (oil change, tire pressure, tire tread depth, engine, etc.).
- Car Insurance/Registration and AAA number stored in the glove compartment of your car.
- Make sure you have a full tank of gas before starting the trip. If you’re driving in the middle of nowhere. Fill up every half tank the moment you see a gas station – just to be safe.
- Make sure you have a Portable Air Compressor, Jumper Cable, and Jump Starter. Please check out the links below from Amazon.
Portable Air Compressor
2. First Aid Kit
- This is a must in case of any accidents or injuries while on the road.
3. Basic Necessities
- Water – (At least a case of bottled water per person if going to places without water) and at least 2-3 gallons of non-potable water.
- Blanket & Pillow
- Cash/Loose Change
- Box of Tissue/Paper Towels
- Trash Bag
- Hand Sanitizer
- Phone/Device chargers (for Iphone/Android) – USB cable.
- Car charger with several outlets. You can charge several devices at the same time.
- Fire starter – Lighters
- Swiss Knife/Mulit-Tool
- Weather Radio
- Tool Kit
- Buy a map – a real one. Electronics fail sometimes or you may lose signal on your phone or need to reroute somewhere.
- Get a GPS (if you don’t have one). I’ve had experiences where I drove to places that did not have signal at all or my phone just crashed on me and having a GPS is a lifesaver.
5. Other Recommendations
- Cooler – You’ll need this to keep your drinks cold.
- Dash Cam – Not just to record your memories but also important if you get into an accident.
Now that I’m done writing this article. I feel like planning my next long road trip. So what are you waiting for?
If you need ideas on places to visit – check out my blog at https://roadsbeltravelled.com/